Sunday, 20 January 2013

Analyzing the Competition- BARB

Myth-busters

Myth-busters is a science entertainment TV program on discovering myths which have not been discovered. Myth-busters have currently had 10 seasons with 231 episodes and has been running since January 23rd 2003. It began in 2003 and It is a program broadcasted on the discovery channel and is viewed around the world. This show is similar to what my documentary is about as they find out information about myths for example the video below is about the if Jack could have survived aswell as Rose from the film Titanic. The topic of the video is not related to mine but the style and the way it is presented is how I want my documentary to be portrayed and also the way they show and get information from experts is the way I will show mine. Also this documentary is a mixture or a serious tone and also being a bit comical to interest and entertain the viewers, and with my topic I don't want to be to serious as it is one which the audience know the answer to so I will make it slightly comical to keep the audience interested. 






Bang goes the Theory

Bang goes the theory is a science program which shows different experiments which have not been done before. The program has around 3 million views for each episode and is broadcasted on BBC 1. Bang goes the theory was first broadcasted in July 2009 and currently has 7 series and is broadcasted at 19:30 on Tuesdays on BBC 1. This show would be similar to my documentary as my documentary, I will be showing and telling the audience about the subject I am talking about and providing facts with this information. This is similar to the shows structure as they show experiments and explain them. I believe I could match this or have higher ratings if I show my program at the same time as this is a peak time for television as most family's and people watch TV around this time as they are off work. This show is popular and is broadcasted on a mainstream program, but my show could potenially beat the viewing figures for this show as my program can be based on a variety of subjects and can appeal to a wide and variety of audiences. 






BBC Natural World - David Attenborough

David Attenborough's TV show Natural World is about different parts of the world we don't know about and the animals which live in these different locations and how they live. Natural World was originally broadcasted on 10 December 1967 and is broadcasted on BBC two. Currently there is over 400 episodes and they are still running today for 40-50 minutes, it is currently also the longest show to be broadcasted on the BBC. This program is similar to my documentary as it focuses on the topic with mainly a voice-over and you don't see the presenter as much. In my documentary I won't be appearing as much as I will be doing a voice-over the content. The structure of the show is also slightly similar to mine as it is more facts and VT of the subject rather than me presenting. I believe I could match or potentially beat the viewing figures for this show as this show may be repetative over time as it is based of one subject which is different places around the world and different species. As my subject can be always changing and can be about different topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment